Inter-University Agreements

Inter-university agreements signed by Charles University provide a basis not only for traditional one-semester or one-year periods of study abroad, but also for short-term placements and summer language courses. If you want to go to a foreign university under one of these agreements, you should first check whether Charles University’s agreement with the partner university provides for student mobility and whether your field of study is taught there.

For a list of partner universities which have student mobility arrangements with Charles University, see here.

Selection process

If you are interested in a study period abroad based on an inter-university agreement, you must submit your application and other necessary documents (as required by the partner university of your choice) to the international office of your faculty, which will then forward the application to the International Relations Department of at the Charles University Rectorate. The deadline for submitting the documents is set by the faculty (taking into account the need to process the documents before the final Rectorate deadline). The faculties pre-select and nominate their candidates for the selection procedure conducted by the Rectorate. The final selection is made by the Vice-Rector for International Relations and Mobility, who takes into account the order in which the candidates have been nominated by their respective faculties, and also considers each candidate's academic performance (study results), degree programme (Bachelor's, Master's or doctoral), letter of motivation and language skills. Detailed information on the offer of study periods at partner universities abroad is listed according to country. To learn more, you can also contact the staff of the International Relations Department at the Charles University Rectorate (each member of staff is responsible for particular countries).

Financial aspects of the stay, funding options

If you travel abroad within the framework of an inter-university agreement, you need not worry about the often substantial tuition fees at universities abroad. However, this does not mean you are automatically exempt from paying any other fees your host university may collect (various semester fees, deposits etc.). The other fees mentioned above are usually collected even from exchange students. The types and amounts of fees differ according to country/university.

Another expense is purchasing insurance to cover medical costs. This insurance is required especially by non-European countries/universities (if you only travel within the EU, your European Health Insurance Card entitles you to receive all medically essential health care free of charge). If your host country requires exchange students to obtain visas, you must also include the visa fee in your cost calculations. The costliest aspects of staying abroad are generally travel and the cost of living (accommodation, everyday expenses etc.), but the actual sums differ from country to country. The websites of our partner universities usually offer current information about living costs in the given country. This and other useful information on the practical aspects of studying abroad can also be found in the final reports written by students who have already returned from similar stays.

Some study periods based on inter-university agreements are financially supported: participants in the exchange receive a scholarship from the partner university. The current list of available study periods at partner universities abroad always includes information on whether a scholarship is offered. If no scholarship is offered, you can apply for financial support from your faculty or from the University (Mobility Fund), or you can take advantage of various foundations, grant agencies or other institutions providing financial support for student mobility.

Last change: February 10, 2018 23:19 
Share on:  
Contact Us

Charles University

Ovocný trh 5

Prague 1

116 36

Czech Republic

Centre for Information, Counselling and Social Services


Phone: +420 224 491 850

Public Relations Officer


Phone: +420 224 491 248

Data Box ID: piyj9b4

ID No.: 00216208

VAT No.: CZ00216208

How to Reach Us